Monday 9 March 2015

The idea is the biggest capital anyone can have —Eric Kinoti

Eric Kinoti is an entrepreneur and a mentor. The founder and director of Shade Systems (EA) Ltd, SafiSana Home Services, Alma Tents and Bag Base Kenya Ltd, has appeared twice on Kenya’s list of Top 40 under 40, and the Forbes Top 30 under 30 in Africa. He is also a patron at the Kenya National Chamber of Commerce and Industry, the self-made millionaire speaks with DOYIN ADEOYE in this interview on how he achieved such feats and what it takes to make one’s business survive in Africa. Excerpts:

What spurred you into being an entrepreneur? 
I’ve always wanted to be financially independent, be my own boss and be able to create job opportunities. So when getting a blue collar job became difficult after I completed my tertiary education, I started selling eggs and it was during this time that I discovered I did not need to be employed anymore.
How easy was it getting started as an entrepreneur?
It was never easy, and it will never be easy to start up. I faced a lot of difficulties, so many hurdles and obstacles. In fact, all odds were against me, but I was determined to make my dream a reality.

So why tents? What influenced the decision to start a business along that line?
I saw a need and took the opportunity. Someone approached me sometimes when I was doing supplies after college for a tent. I asked around and eventually the profit I made from being a middleman in the deal was good. So I thought since I had a tough time looking for a tent, why couldn’t I start manufacturing tents and selling them at a viable price. I did my research, studied the market and the rest is history.
Also, another reason I decided to go into tent business is the African climate. We have extreme weather conditions; if it’s hot, it’s usually very hot and when it’s cold, it gets extremely cold. So this means that for any event to happen and to protect what matters to us, we must have a shade, a tent or a canopy.
What did you have to put in place to get your business started?
Initially I looked for space, machinery and a lot of marketing aspects. And by this, I mean I identified the market, the personnel and the marketing channels. And everything worked out fine.
You have other companies besides Shade Systems (EA) Ltd. What are they all about and how do you manage them without lapses?
Over time, I realised that one business created a need and led to the establishment of the other. For example, the first one, Shade Systems (EA) Ltd exclusively manufactures all types of tents; car parking shade, canopies and shade seals. And we also offer tents installation and supplies services.
With this, a need to hire tents to events and ceremonies came up. So I started Alma Tents for this reason only; to hire tents to events, ceremonies, parties and other social events.
The third company is Bag Base Kenya, a subsidiary company that manufactures bags. When we manufacture tents, there are some canvas materials that remain. So this is what we use to make these canvas bags. Bag Base K. manufactures canvas school bags, laptop bags, corporate bags, travel bags and any other type of bag. The company also makes leather product like gents and ladies wallets, folders, menu covers, bill covers, cheque book covers, mouse pads, blotter pads among other many. These products are customised according to the client’s specifications.
The fourth company is Safisana Home Services. Safisana is a Swahili name which means ‘Very Clean’. So Safisana offers premium home care with professional and 5-star services. It is a Kenyan company tailored to providing thorough, timely and extremely professional home support services.
What inspired the Eric Kinoti Entrepreneurs Boot Camp?
Entrepreneurs Boot Camp is an entity I’m using to promote entrepreneurship in Africa and also to challenge young people to be better in the society. The camp is an event that provides a platform for successful entrepreneurs to share experiences with young ambitious founders and connect them to mentors. The boot camp gives attendees an exclusive inside look into the career path of well respected professionals, business lessons learned by successful entrepreneurs and an opportunity to meet and get personal advice from amazing African entrepreneurs.
The entrepreneurial journey can be a very challenging one and young entrepreneurs need to be mentored and offered platforms to learn and network with one another.
Every business has its share of challenges. What have been the challenges facing your own business?
My youthful age has been a challenge on many occasions. Years back, no one believed in a young person; all the big tenders and big businesses were given by old folks who never had trust in young people and what they can do. I missed a lot of opportunities because of my age, so that is why I am always happy when I see young people in their 20s getting big tenders and good businesses because it shows the trend has changed. Also putting the brand out there too was a challenge. Tents industry is highly controlled by government or government controlled parastatals, so penetrating such a market and maintaining competition is a big challenge.
 I also had capital issues when I was starting up, but I didn’t let this pin me down because I am an avid believer in ideas. I believe that the idea is the biggest capital one can have. I went without money to pay rent; I was in debts with the shylocks who almost auctioned my business and went without sales for awhile.
What other risks did you have to take while starting off?
There were so many risks involved. I went on to start a business that I wasn’t sure if it will manage to pay bills or support itself. I ploughed all the capital I had in it with hopes that it will make it. And yes, it paid off. After a lot of hardwork and sacrifice, it did.
Starting from the point you did, how did the company evolve into a million dollar company?
We have evolved to where we are through great team work, hard work, and doing good job. Every job we do, we do it to our best, like it is our last job on earth and with this, we please our clients who refer us to others. Dedication and a lot of sacrifices have also seen us this far. I have sacrificed the life of a youth so that my old age can be good and easy.
Why in your opinion do you think African entrepreneurs do not succeed in their business endeavours?
First, I would say the environment revolving around entrepreneurship. For example in Kenya, if you score a government tender, you will have to wait for almost one year to get paid. This cannot help any entrepreneur prosper. The duration stipulated in the law should be amended.
Another thing is the process of registering a company. While in the western countries registration of a company takes less than three hours, in Africa it may take up to three months.
We also don’t have so many willing investors. As much as an entrepreneur may have a starting capital, he also needs operating capital. We need more good willing investors to fund African Entrepreneurs.
However, the problem is not only external, even within entrepreneurs themselves, there is a problem. Most of the youth are not persistent; they don’t have patience. They want to start a business and start earning immediately. Quick cash is what they want, but this can never happen, so when this doesn’t happen, they jump from one business to the other.
For every good thing, there is a process. I faced so many challenges, I had the option of starting different businesses and leaving shade systems to die, but I choose to stick with it, because I know there is always a price to pay for everything. Obstacles and challenges are the prices for success.
What is your biggest goal?
My biggest goal is to help as many entrepreneurs as possible to succeed. From the challenges I faced, I recognise the importance of mentorship and how important it is to inspire and guide young people venturing into business.
You were on Forbes Top 30 under 30 in Most Promising Africa Entrepreneurs last year...
It was a humbling moment for me, I never expected it. I remember receiving congratulatory calls from friends but I didn’t know why until I got online and read about it. I felt good but at the same time took it upon myself to teach young and starting entrepreneurs that when you do something to your best, someone somewhere will recognise your efforts.
And by the way, I am in the list even this year. It came out last week and I am so happy for the other seven Kenyan entrepreneurs who were listed.
You also appeared on Kenya’s list of Top 40 under 40 and was appointed a Patron at the Kenya National Chamber of Commerce and Industry. How does it feel being highly recognised as a young person?
It gives you confidence and purpose. It makes you dream bigger and aim for greater heights. I have faced rejection on basis of my age before, but when such recognitions come, they build your confidence and your leverage.
You were the 2014 SOMA Awards Most Influential SME Personality and All African Business Leaders Awards finalist, how was the experience?
My team did an amazing work lobbying for the votes. I was placed in a category of some business people that I even look up to. So honestly when we won, I really felt great. This came with a lot of responsibility. I have to watch what I post on social media. So far I use my page to motivate, encourage and give street business education to the entrepreneurs and all the people who look up to me.
Was there a decision you made and wished you never did?
Yes, trusting people so much. Some people will pose as your friends and even give you some advice, but they are not there to really help you. No, there are there to destroy you; so watch out for the people you keep close and around you.
Would you say entrepreneurialism is something one is born with, or could be learned?
Entrepreneurialism is all about self dedication, discipline, big dreams and big self drive. You see, there are a lot of things that even if you went to Havard School of business, they will never teach you about entrepreneurship or business. On the other hand, no one is born an entrepreneur. It is a choice you make.
You studied Business Administration in school, did the knowledge gathered in college help and what differentiates what is learnt in school and the entrepreneurial world?
Yes, I have a certificate in business management. School is important. You can be street smart, you can know your clients’ needs and everything, but school is important also. They don’t teach you everything, but the knowledge they give you comes in handy most of the time in business dealings.
What does it take to be a successful African entrepreneur?
It takes discipline, hard work, consistency, commitment, perseverance, long term vision, patient, creative and smart thinking.
What would your business advice for young entrepreneurs be?
First, put God first. Second, be consistent, don’t be jumpy, stick to one thing and it will pay off. Third, have a long term oriented ideas. Don’t be short term, think long term. And fourth, think big, start small, start now. In this life, there are no limitations, we only limit ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment