Monday 23 March 2015

It’s pathetic that female footballers are labelled lesbians —Cynthia Uwak

Cynthia Uwak is an ex-Super Falcons’ player who has been named the African Woman Footballer of the Year twice. The striker, who hails from Akwa Ibom State, has played for clubs in Germany, Finland, Sweden and France. She speaks with DOYIN ADEOYE in this interview about her career, style and the world of female footballers. Excerpts

Your Foray into sports, how did it begin?
I’ve always been a sports lover. In fact, I started playing football when I was young. I used to run around with boys then, playing with anything that was round and kickable. So it came as no surprise when I eventually took up football as a career.
Many girls are often discouraged from pursuing a career in football. Did you have the same experience?
I actually didn’t experience many difficulties. I loved soccer and wanted to play.  Though the money wasn’t coming in that much when I started, I was so much into it that it didn’t bother me.  My mother was my biggest fan. She still is. She not only encouraged me, she supported me. So, as regards having support from home, let’s just say I was lucky.

What were the challenges you faced at the initial stage?
A lot of it. But now, I don’t see them as challenges any more, rather, they were ladders I had to climb to get to where I am today. I can recall sleeping in an uncompleted building for a year because the team had no money to pay us and we didn’t have any choice than to play. There were so many experiences, I can’t even begin to recall them, but I thank God for where I am today.
Which local clubs did you play for before the big break came?
I started with Ufoma Babes Football Club, in Warri, Delta State. I also played for Inneh Queens Football Club and the FCT Queens Football Club, before I moved to play in the international league.
How did you feel when you were called to join the Super Falcons?
 It was a great experience for me. I had played with the Under-19 national team; at Canada 2002, Thailand 2004 and Russia 2006. It was during this time that I got an invitation to the senior national team. Having to represent my fatherland was a dream come true.
What did it take to be awarded the African Woman Footballer of the Year twice and which other awards do you have on your shelf?
It took a lot of hard work, discipline, determination, self control, zeal, willingness and above all, prayers. I was awarded the African Women Footballer of the Year for two consecutive years; 2006 and 2007. I also have the City People Awards, Finnish Women’s League top scorer, 2013, indigenous awards from my people, Finnish Best Player award and a lot of others. I’m so grateful to God for the talent He has given me, as a man’s talent.
Was it easy getting to play at the international clubs?
Sincerely, it was not something that just happened.  When you are outstanding at what you do, every club will want your services. I played at FC Saarbrucken in the Women’s Bundesliga, FC United of Jakobstad and KMF Kuopio in Finland, Falköpings KIK in Sweden and Olympique Lyonnais in France.
What is the first thing that comes to your mind when a game is about to start?
That is scoring goals, winning and giving a good performance. With that on my mind, I just look forward to having a good game.                                        
How would you assess the Nigerian female football body? Do you think it is well supported?
I believe a lot of work still needs to be done. Women football in Nigeria has not been properly taken care of and this has been going on for a long time. First, they need to have the interest of the players at heart. There is no adequate support for female football, which is a major source of discouragement for the team.     
How do you think things can be improved?
It has to do with planning, and having the interest of the players at heart. They should look for sponsors, I believe the story will change.
You’ve played in international leagues. What is your assessment  of the game in Africa and what do you think still needs to be done? about it?
The league abroad is more organised and of shigh standard with good pitches, good officiating and a lot more. As regards the leagues back home, good management. I strongly believe what is experienced abroad can also be achieved in Africa.
Nigerian female footballers are the best in Africa. What do you think gives the ladies the edge above others?
Other African female footballers are measuring up, but no doubt Nigerian players are still the best. It is simply hard work and dedication. That is the truth.
Many sport persons are believed to have their off days. How do you handle yours?
 On my off days on the pitch, I try as much as possible to be as professional as possible. Although it is not something you can control, in all, I still try to give my best.
Female football is yet to be taken seriously not only by fans, but also by sponsors and TV stations, compared to the men’s game. What is your take on this and what do you think still needs to be done?
That is an unfortunate truth. Female leagues are hardly aired or hyped, unlike the male leagues. A whole lot needs to be done because this has been going on for years. I believe the head of department of female football should stand up to its responsibility as the voice of the league, look into complaints and bring prominence to the female football. This will invariably attract good sponsorship deals.                              
An award-winning male footballer on your level of professionalism would have been endorsed by one or two companies. Since you won the award, have you had any endorsement deal?
No. There are no endorsement deals. Female players are not really acknowledged, unlike our male counterparts.
Many of your pictures have been streaming on the internet lately with you showing off your abdominal muscles. What influenced that?
Nothing.  I love my body and I’m proud to show it off. I think it should be some sort of motivation for a lot of people to work out and live healthy. Some like it and some don’t, but in all, I am doing what I want and what makes me happy. That is all that matters.   
Many guys find it hard to approach sports ladies. What would you say is the reason for this?
I have no clue about that because I get approached by guys. For those that can’t approach sportswomen, maybe they are only intimidated. Guys approach us and those that can’t; I really don’t know what their excuse can be
Female footballers are often linked with lesbianism. What do you think encourages lesbianism on the job?
I find it really surprising when people say many female footballers are lesbians. The question is; “who have they caught in the act? What proof do they have to come up with such conclusion? I believe everyone is always linked to one thing or the other, that’s the only way the world can go round. But saying that female footballers are lesbians is rather pathetic. You can’t just label people based on assumptions.                                             
What is your own opinion on lesbianism?
Everyone is entitled to live their lives the way they want. The way one lives is based on experiences. So, it’s a matter of choice.      
Are you into any relationship?
No. Cynthia Uwak is not in any relationship.
When do you intend to get married?
I’m yet to find the portion of the Bible that says that if you are not married you won’t make Heaven. Only God knows when it will be.                
What is the best moment you’ve had in career?
That was FIFA World Cup 2011 when I got to play alongside the world’s best. It is one moment I cherish.
It is obvious you’re always in shape. How do you keep fit?
I go to the gym often and I run a lot, especially when I’m off season. It feels good to look good.
Who is your inspiration?
God is my only inspiration.                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment