Wednesday 15 April 2015

What makes me the next Bob Marley —Patoranking



Patrick Nnamemeka Okorie, better known as Patoranking is one young artiste that has carved a niche for himself among the dancehall artistes in the Nigerian entertainment industry. The Ebonyi State indigene, spoke with DOYIN ADEOYE in this interview, about growing up in the ghetto, his career and style, among other things.
Foray into music, when did it all begin for you?
Actually, I started as a dancer. I remember back then, I would dance to all genre of music. I started dancing as a child and I developed the passion for reggae as a dancer, so I decided to give reggae music a trial. So I went into music and professionally it has been five years now, and it has been fun.
Why reggae, there must have been other genres of music to fall in love with?
I was opportuned to only listen to reggae songs while I was growing up. I danced to any kind of reggae music, such as galala, which has that reggae and dance hall fusion and that was how it all started for me.

How will you describe your style of music?
My style of music is Patoranking style, it is that style that only Patoranking understands and could only be done by Patoranking. I try to carve a niche for myself and create a brand that nobody is doing, but just me. They could think of doing it, but they are not doing it. That is my style, I just like to be exceptional.
The track ‘Alubarika’ was received by a lot of people who are not even reggae fans, what inspired it?
‘Alubarika’ is a testimonial song and I think the idea behind it was just to share my testimony through music. I am a God-fearing person and like I said in the beginning of the song, I came from nothing to something. That was my story. Growing up from the slum wasn’t easy, although it is a place where you have boundless talents, but it wasn’t easy coming out from there.
So I am so grateful that everything worked out for me; getting a deal, getting recognition, so I felt the best way to share my testimony was through music. And everyone wants ‘Alubarika’; everyone wants God’s blessings, so it was easy for many people to relate with the song.
How was your childhood, growing up in the ghetto?
I am the first born and like I said, I grew up in Ebute Meta to be precise and I am telling you again that it wasn’t easy. If you see movies like Omo Ghetto, then you’ll understand what I’m talking about. It was an experience anyone from there will never forget.
Coming from such background, how did you get here, what were the challenges faced?
It wasn’t easy. For instance, I am the type of person that would have loved to get quality education, but I wasn’t opportuned to have that. I had to drop out of school and I also have younger ones that look up to me, so it was really challenging. But we thank God for everything, everything has changed, everyone is smiling and we are doing well.
What educational level did you attain  before dropping out of school?
I was in my second year at the University of Cape Coast in Ghana, where I was studying Information Technology, before I dropped out. Prior to that, I attended Stepping Stone Nursery and Primary School, Satellite Town and Jibril Martin Memorial Grammar School, Iponri.
Now that ‘Alubarika’ has come, do you intend to further your education?
Yes, Hopefully, I’ll be going back to school soon. I thank God for the big break and I just want to make many more things happen and make more money and then go back to school.
What thrills you most about being an artiste?
I love passing positive messages across to people. And also the new lifestyle is really cool. People now want to listen to you; the love and the respect are overwhelming. I really enjoy it.
For this genre of music, there must be musical heroes, who are they?
I really love and respect Bob Marley and like I said on my twitter handle, I’m the next big thing after Bob Marley…
You think so?
I’m very positive about that. If you watch the video for ‘Alubarika’ closely, you’d see Bob Marley’s picture in it.
So what makes you so positive that you could step in the shoes of such a music icon?
People tell me that a lot. A lot of people look at me and say ‘Boy, you are the next big thing after Bob Marley.’ It is not something I came up with, so I just had to claim it by faith.
The percentage of music lovers that support reggaes music is relatively low. How do you think the genre can be fully revived?
I think it is experiencing revival now, because now, it seems everyone wants to do dance hall music, which is a genre under reggae. So I think in one way or the other, people are trying to do reggae. There is no song that you would hear that you won’t have that reggae feel in it.
If it is not in the lyrics, then you will feel it on the beats. So, the acceptance is huge now. If they can dance to ‘Alubarika’ in clubs, then I see reggae genre in the Nigeria entertainment industry going places. I dropped ‘Girlie o’ and then a remix with Tiwa Savage and it has pushed my music to further heights. I am very greatful to God.
How did you come about the name Patoranking?
I used to be called Patoraiko in school, when I was playing football. Then I remember one day I was at the Alpha Beach and there was this Jamaican man playing the guitar and I just decided to freestyle to the tune. And he looked me and said he saw something big in me.
So, for the respect he had for my freestyle, he said he wished to change my name. I had told him I was Patoraiko and he changed the Raiko to Ranking and ranking in Jamaica means ‘highly respected’.
You used to be a member of the Dem Mama Record label, did something go wrong?
Dem Mama Records is a family to me, but now I have a new deal with an international outfit. They came from South Africa, Foston Musik. We are making everything big. But I am still family with Dem Mama label, although I am now signed with Foston Musik. There was no issue between us, it was an agreement between the two labels, so Dem Mama still remains family to me.
There is a perception that associates reggae artistes with marijuana. What is your take on this?
I don’t drink and I don’t smoke. And I think, to me, it is all about the mindset. Inspiration comes from God alone and not man. God gave man the talent and He has his reasons for that. He can’t give you something that will not be convenient for you. So I believe people are lying when they say they get inspired when they smoke weed. I don’t believe in it.
Do you have any album in sight?
I am working on a project and I can’t say for now when I’ll eventually drop the album.
What is your advice for young reggae artistes?
It is just about doing good music and doing the right thing. With this, you will be heard, there is no two way about it. Try to be different, be unique in your own ways and try to look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment