Saturday 27 June 2015

The song ‘Sade’ actually my real life story

Ever since he dropped ‘Sade,’ a cover to One Direction’s ‘Story of My Life,’ Adekunle Kosoko has become a popular name in the Nigerian music industry. From one stage to another, Adekunle Gold, as he is popularly known portrays creativity and style. He speaks with DOYIN ADEOYE in this interview on his career, label mates and craft, among other issues.


Foray into music...
I grew up listening to a lot of songs, from the old to the new. And it has been amazing how, over the years, I’ve learnt different genres. I was a member of the teen’s choir in church back in the days, and later on in life, I joined a band. So the interest has always been there; I’ve always been a music lover.
I later decided to take it up professionally because I believe that I have something to offer the industry and I could turn heads to the some extent with my kind of music. So in 2011, I started out with a band called ‘The Bridge,’ and we dropped a couple of singles; we featured Skales on the track ‘Norm Breaker,’ we did another one with GT The Guitarman titled ‘Make It Happen,’ and some other covers. So basically, I came into the industry officially in 2011.
What influenced your decision to go solo?
Things were not working for us the way we wanted it. It can be hard for a duo to break into the industry. It is even a hard for a solo artiste, not to talk of a group. So my partner and I discussed and decided to part ways to see how it would work out. And so far, it turned out to be the best decision I have ever made.

What challenges did you face after your decision?
For many upcoming artistes, the major thing on their mind is to get signed to a label and get a corporate body to believe in your sound and what you have. That wasn’t easy. We were trying to get support and that was really hard. And that even one of the reasons I decided to go solo in 2013.
Also, it wasn’t easy to make people believe in me. It was hard showing people what you have and them taking it for granted. Sometimes you have to beg bloggers to help use your story or beg friends to use your picture on their walls; I did a lot of begging people to see that I had something. But I thank God all that changed last year December after I dropped ‘Sade.’
‘Sade’ brought you to limelight. What did it take to put it all together?
It only took my experience, because ‘Sade’ is my story. There was this girl I was chasing around like three years ago, her name is Sade. So when I wanted to drop a song last year December, I was really restless, because I felt it was about time to be heard. So I decided to start with songs that were about my story, but after I recorded ‘Sade,’ I just knew I had to start with it. So ‘Sade’ is basically my story.
Prior to the release of the song, did you expect this much buzz from it?
No, I didn’t expect it at all. Although I rarely have doubts when I record songs, to be honest, I didn’t expect it to be a really big song. ‘Sade’ is not even my biggest song; it is a cover to one of One Direction’s song, told with my own story. All I wanted to do was put something out and see how people would respond to the new sound. So be honest, I never thought ‘Sade’ could be this big.
What exactly caught your attention in One Direction’s ‘Story of My Life’ that you decided to do a cover of it?
I can’t really remember the first time I heard the song, but I remember listening to it and thinking this is a very beautiful sound. I remember I free styled to the chorus while driving, because I write and record a lot of songs while driving.
I remember singing ‘je n gbe e lo’le, mummy mi n reti omo,’ right there in the car. So that was how it was inspired.
How would you describe your style of music?
My genre is Urban Highlife. It is a fusion of pop folk and highlife. It is basically international sound with local content. That is something I crafted myself.
‘Sade’ is a romantic ballad; it is not something an average Nigerian music lover would easily relate with. What made the difference?
First, I’d say God, and secondly, I believe it is the sincerity of the song. Because I got a lot of comments and tweets with people saying that they like the sincerity of the song and the story it tells. Many said they like the way I dint care and was just talking about how much I like the girl. So I think the content of the song did most of it and probably the sound.
How did you come about the name ‘Gold’?
I am a lover of God. Before I do anything, I make sure I ask God about it. So in 2008/2009, I was thinking about a name to come out with because I didn’t want to be known as Adekunle Kosoko. So I told God I needed a name.
So I was in church one day listening to a sermon, and the preacher kept saying, “You can’t substitute brass for gold.” He said that like three times. So I took a cue from that and that is how I coined ‘Adekunle Gold’.
How would you assess the Nigerian music industry in the time that you’ve been a part of it?
It is pretty interesting and tough. A lot of people are afraid for me; they think ‘Sade’ is probably too big and I may not have a follow up, because that is pretty much everybody’s fear in the industry, they are worried on how I can keep up with the standard I’ve set for myself. Though I’m not one to brag, but ‘Sade’ is not even close to the biggest song I have.
The industry has been interesting; I’ve been learning the trade, the tricks, what and what not to do. It is really challenging and I like it.
There are lot of talents out there. How do you intend to make a lasting mark in the industry?
I am happy that I’ve been able to create my sound early enough, which I call Urban Highlife. Not many Nigerian artistes would want to do a song like ‘Sade.’ I took a big risk and God blessed it. So I’ll be doing a lot of my sound and stick to making good music, because I intend to keep that forever.
How is the experience of being signed to YBNL?
It has been amazing. I didn’t see it coming, although I’ve been friends with Olamide before I dropped ‘Sade.’ He actually called me before his holy concert and I thought it was an opportunity to hang out with him. It was after the concert he said he was interested in signing me, adding that his producer, Pheelz, had been disturbing him to sign me. So when he told me about the deal, I loved it and YBNL is a big platform that any artiste would want to be a part of.
Your style of music is really different from theirs. Do you intend to change it to blend in or what?
I’ll get creative along the line; I’m not going to put myself in the box. But one thing is certain, whatever I put out will be good music.
Do you feel like there is some kind of competition with your label mates?
I am not a competitive person. The last time I was on a flight, I was thinking to myself that the sky is wide enough to accommodate many aircrafts conveniently at a time. That is how I see the industry. We all have different sounds and even if we do the same sound, I believe in seeing everyone thrive. So I don’t believe in competition.
When did the passion for graphic designing develop?
I actually studied Arts and Design, it is something I’ve always been doing. In fact, a lot of people know me as ‘King of Photoshop’ that has always been there, and it hasn’t stop. It is very lucrative and in fact, I used to use the money I got from it to support my music career back then.
It was reported that you were mobbed by OAU students last week...
I’d rather not comment, because it was just a little misunderstanding. And it is quite unfortunate that a lot of media platforms actually report fake stories, and I wouldn’t want to fuel anyone’s desire to make money off something that is not worth it. I never said anything about the incident. I was not robbed. I was there to perform at a show there, and for one reason or the other, I was later approached for a refund of half of the payment. And to avoid any issue, I gave them. So I was not robbed.
Who are those artistes that inspire you?
I look up to artistes like Bez, Asa, Tuface and the likes, because over the years, these people have found a way to keep their sound, and it has been working for them. They are probably bigger than many others outside Africa; they are amazing talents. Also the likes of Chief Ebenezer Obey and King Sunny Ade have sounds that not so many people would want to do and they found a way to just keep going.
Words are going round that you are romantically involved with X3M Music artiste, Simi...
I don’t want to talk about that. I believe when the time is right, if there is anything to know, we’ll know.
Education Background...
I studied Arts and Industrial Design at the Lagos State Polytechnic (LASPOTECH) where I graduated in 2009. I majored in graphics.
Family Background...
My father is an educationist and so is my mother. I have two sisters; they used to be three, but one is late. We were brought up really well.
What next should people expect from you?
I’m dropping a single very soon and by God’s grace, it is going to be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment