Thursday 20 November 2014

How an underwater stunt shot me to limelight —Deyemi Okanlawon

Actor and New York Film Academy-trained filmmaker, Deyemi Okanlawon, speaks with DOYIN ADEOYE on his career and other things. Excerpts:

What was growing up like for you?
I am the second of five children and the first boy. Despite many siblings, growing up, for me, was relatively quiet. I, more or less, grew up alone. I spent most of my time by myself in my room, because as a child, I was always reading books. I loved to read stories and basically, that is the part of me that grew to make me a shy person.

How did you develop your passion for acting?
I got attracted to drama when I was in primary school. I took part in a lot of plays and people liked my performance, so, I kept on with it. My primary education was filled with acting in school plays. It was a lot of fun. There was a friend of my father’s that was involved in television commercials. When I was about eight, he cast me for a family planning advert. Even at such age, it felt like the most natural thing to do.
As a Chemical Engineering graduate from the University of Lagos, how did you get into professional acting?
There was a bit of a gap during my teenage years and most of my university days. I got involved in several things, most of which had nothing to do with acting but a lot to do with interacting with a wide range of people. As an undergraduate, I was a salesman and I always had something to sell. My mum had a bakery, so, I would wake up as early as 6.00a.m. to sell bread and cake around the campus before I got back to my room and prepare for the day. I think that helped me because one of the keys to being a good actor is being able to observe people and see how they react to certain things and being able to mimic them.
In my final year in school, I got involved with a group of young Christians and again, I was attracted to drama. After graduating, I was part of another Christian organisation, where I joined their youth drama, dance and music group called ‘Extreme Reaction.’
I still continued with my sales and it was in 2010 while I was selling my things that I met someone who told me about an audition that was coming up. I went for the audition and I did my part. But apparently, while I was auditioning, some other people who wanted to shoot a short film were in the audience and that was how I was chosen by them. The first film project I featured in was a short film entitled: ‘A Grain of Wheat.’ I was also called to feature in the film whose audition I originally went for, ZR7, and it was fun. The money wasn’t much but I gave it to my mother. That was how it all began for me.
What is the most memorable experience you have had on the job?
I featured in a short film, ‘Blink,’ which we did in 2012 and was released 2013. It was intense. The story line and the scenes were breathtaking. A scene opened to my character being chained to a chair under water. The director, Tolu Ajayi, got equipment that could be used under water, so, we practised for weeks how to hold our breath for a long period. The scene got massive reviews and it, more or less, became my springboard to the industry. It won the best short film at the International Short Film Festival. I also won the Best Actor in a Short Film from the award in 2013.
What challenges did you face at the initial stage of your career?
I was working full time in an e-commerce company as a marketing executive when I started. So, I could only do whatever I could over the weekend or late at night. I used to do all-night rehearsals and go to work from there. So, it was pretty intense. But I knew a lot about the internet, so, I started putting everything I did on the internet. I had a channel on YouTube and I put everything online.
I also featured in a couple of web series such as ‘Knock Knock’ and ‘Gidi Up’ and short films like ‘Iredu.’ I co-produced the short film ‘6.30 a.m.’ I was all over the internet. But in September 2013, it got to a point where I needed to make a decision as to where to be between my profession and my career. I decided to become a full-time actor and the rest is history.
Do you have any regret leaving your job as a sales executive for acting?
The value that I receive now as an actor, the joy, freedom and the ability to express myself in the best possible way cannot quantified. For me, it is worth it. My salary as a sales executive was decent. I was working with one of the top global e-commerce companies in the world. As a manager, I was well remunerated. It is surprising, however, that I am leading the exact lifestyle that I was leading then. Everything worked out fine because I made sure that a lot of things were put in place before I took that leap and I can proudly say that I have been working since I quit my job.
Many people don’t fancy producing short films...
Well, I did short films because they are usually more intense and it was what I had time for then. When filmmakers produce short films, they don’t usually have enough time, so, they tell the story the best way they can in a little time. In a feature film, a lot of people waste time on unnecessary things. Also, it is low budget and because they are small, people consume them easily. It has more viral tendency, which is global. That is my attraction to short films.
How was the Gidi Up experience for you?
I had to take a break at work to feature in it. It was a web series, so, it was short. It got a lot of attention and I guess the decision to take it to TV came as a result of that. I played the lead role, Tokunbo, in the movie and it was really fun.
You have been able to make a statement in a short while. How were you able to achieve that? And how do you improve on your craft?
After I did ‘A Grain of Wheat’ and ‘Blink,’ the church organisation I was involved with then, Covenant Christian Centre, encouraged some of us and I can say that the church was my training platform. They even went a step further by sending me on a film scholarship to the New York Film Academy. The New York Film Academy was in Lagos and I did a one-month programme where I studied acting for film. And I can say that was the formal training I attended. And to improve myself, I attend acting workshops and exposed myself to great films.
You don’t feature in Yoruba movies, why?
I am waiting. If I am called, I would go. I would really like to flex my Yoruba in a film. I enjoy Yoruba stories and would definitely like to be a part of it.
What makes a good script to you?
My philosophy is what can you learn from the movies? I see films as a powerful medium to teach and change something. If the story has something insightful to offer, then I would be interested. And it also has to be a story that connects with people, a story that the Nigerian environment can relate with. Also, the character that I am asked to play must have depth. He must be able to go through different phases with varying degrees of emotions.
Are you a stuntsman?
I wouldn’t say I am a stuntsman, but I am a very physical person. I ride the power bike. I swim. I can ride a horse. I also practise karate. I have been known to do some of my own stunts.

No comments:

Post a Comment