Monday 15 December 2014

Names: What’s the new influence?

By DOYIN ADEOYE
Child naming, across different cultures in Nigeria, is believed to be of utmost importance in shaping the life of any individual. Among the Yoruba especially, a name is believed to play a key role in influencing an individual’s development and future.
Back in the days, although a child’s name was often influenced by the parents’ personal experiences, family affiliations and the circumstances surrounding the birth of the child among other things, positivity was often encouraged in christening a child.
Many Yoruba names, for instance, Aduragbemi, meaning “I’m a benefactor of prayers”; Abayomi, “the enemy would have rejoiced over me”; Boluwatife, “it is as God desires”; Durojaiye, “wait to enjoy life”; Bamitale, “live with me till old age”; Enitan, “a person whose birth comes with a story”; Ekundayo, “my tears have become joy”; Abidemi, “a child born while the fathers was away”; Kokumo or Ikumapayi, “he or she will not die again”; Taiwo and Kehinde for twins; Oluwatimilehin, “God backs me up” and Oluwawemimo, “I am vindicated”, among others, are all names influenced by what surrounds the birth of the child, thus the saying, ile la n wo ka to so omo loruko (circumstances influence a child’s name).

However, in recent times, many of these names are being replaced with the likes of Sharon, Miracle, Shiloh, Praise and Stephanie, Excel, Goodluck, Success, Hope, Wonderful, Rejoice, Favour, Goodness, McDonald, Marvellous and others, with the trend shifting from circumstances oriented.
This may be largely due to the advent of the new generation churches which has also influenced changes in naming, or the heavy influence of westernisation on Nigerians. Names with compound prefixes such as Oke, Ifa, Ogun, Oya and the likes are also being replaced with Oluwa or Olorun. For instance, many Ogunbiyis have changed to Oluwabiyi if they were Christians. In general, the circumstances or pattern for naming individuals seem to be have changed.
One could then ask the question, what is in a name? Could the saying, ile la n wo ka to so omo loruko or oruko a mo ro omo meaning a child’s name determines his fate, still be true?
Speaking with the Nigerian Tribune, Mrs Eunice Adebanjo, a businesswoman, when asked why she often preferred to call one of her twins Kokumo, when obviously the Yoruba have a designated name for twins, explained that the circumstances prior to their birth was the reason for this.
“My first child was a girl, but she died a few days after birth. The same goes for my second issue; she also died days after her birth. So I was told that to avoid that happening again, the child should be deformed to scare her from coming back.
“Both thumbs were twisted and the bones were broken. I couldn’t conceive again for a few years until I later had a son, then a set of twins; a boy and a girl. Coincidentally, my two sons were born perfect, but the girl was born with a twisted thumb. And as beliefs were held highly back in the days, I was made to believe that she was the one that came back. So we had to give her a name to pacify her or appeal to her so called “sacred head.”
“But, sincerely, over the years, that has dropped. She doesn’t like being called that name and moreover, the Christian faith doesn’t really encourage that,” she said.
According to the Yoruba belief, the re-occurrence of dying babies Mrs Adebanjo experienced is called “abiku.” When asked if she believed that the name Kokumo her daughter bore as a child sustained her life, she said, “I think I believed in it then. It was a form of prayer, but I think it will be rare to see anyone name a child that any more,” she said.
Mr Seyifunmi Jeje, christened his daughter Queen, because to him, his daughter is his queen.
“Sincerely, I’m more or less indifferent to these ardent Yoruba names, as long as the name is not negative. Naming my daughter Queen is because she is my queen, and the name in itself is a prayer; we all know how queens are treated,” he said.
Eight-year-old Iyanuoluwa is being raised by her aunt and the story behind her birth according to her aunt, Mrs Funmilayo Akande, is one that truly depicts her name.
“My younger sister died while in labour before she delivered her baby. The doctors then suggested that the baby’s body had to be separated from that of the mother. The operation was carried out and to the surprise of everyone, the baby was found inside her womb alive, despite the fact that the surgery wasn’t carried out immediately after her death. So it was indeed a miracle,” she said.
Many parents or guardians have reasons for picking out names for their children or wards, but some children, once they are old enough to determine what they want, especially the ladies, often change their names.
For Mr Oluwashinayomi Williams, who used to be Enitan Williams, he never liked the name Enitan.
“I was raised by my grandmother and the story I was told was that my father died before I was born and my mother at childbirth. I hate the name and I don’t see a reason why you would give that to a child, since the story is not a good one. And also, it doesn’t suit me, it’s too feminine. So I’ve since dropped it for Oluwashinayomi,” he said.
Some English names are also believed to hold a positive grace for most of those who bear them. For instance, many believe that Isaac Success’ achievement and performances at the Under-17 World Cup held last year was in itself a success, while many people have infused Goodluck into their names in recent times, based on the story behind the background of President Goodluck Jonathan.
“My friend of recent just included Excel in his name and I must say that, there is at least a slight improvement to things he does. This is his belief and his name is working for him,” a young man who preferred anonymity said.
“The sound of Bamitale to many people makes them question the story behind the name. I really like it and when people ask me the story behind it, I just tell them I don’t know, because sincerely I don’t,” a lady said on condition of anonymity.
Speaking with the Nigerian Tribune, Mrs Olaide Akinwolemi, a trader, opined that a more civilised environment has made some names rather odd to hear.
“No matter what the story is; no matter what happens, no one would want to name his or her child Bamitale, Malomo, Durojaiye and the likes. I don’t even believe in such stories any more. But even if it still happens, you would hear names like Jesudiyimu or Oluwapamilerin and the likes. I think they still mean the same, rather than using the emotion-laden names,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment