Monday 15 December 2014

Performing at Oscars was a big honour - Megryderz

Popularly known as Megryderz, Madu Margaret Adaeze is a dancer and the CEO, Stepryders Entertainments. A phenomenal dancer, she has performed at the Oscars and worked with top notch artistes. A graduate of Mass Communication from the Tai Solarin University of Education, Margaret spoke with Doyin Adeoye in this interview about her style, career and perception of dance in Nigeria, among other things.
When did you develop the passion for dancing?
My passion for dancing I would say is inborn, because it runs in the family. My grandmother is a good dancer and so is my mother. So I have always loved to dance right from childhood and over time, I grew to love it.
But sincerely, it is amazing how I chose dance as a career because I can’t seem to fathom how I did that myself, but I guess it was as a result of the fact that I derive joy in dance and I forget my worries when I’m dancing. In short, I feel fulfilled when dancing.

What was growing up like for you?
Growing up for me was really fun, because as a child, I had really caring and loving parents who gave us the best of what every child deserves. Best and balanced meals, conducive environment, best education, best clothes, best toys and many more. So I really enjoyed my childhood.
How does dance inspire you and what is your favourite genre of music?
I get inspired through dance in many ways. Dance, for me is an expression, so I could tell lots of stories through it, be it good, bad, or ugly ones, depending on what I want to communicate. As for my genre of music, I am more of a hip hop, contemporary, high life and blues person, because music to me is versatile. So I listen to songs that melt my heart.
You won a Guinness World Record in 2006 from the dance party, Dancerthon, how was the experience?
The experience for me was awesome because I never believed I had so much energy in me until it was put to test. I am really happy and delighted to have participated in it and as a team; the Zebra Team, we came out victorious. It was a collective effort and I’m glad to have played a major role in the winning.
Besides choreographing at the Oscars last year, what other big platforms have you worked on?
Yes, I performed at the African Oscars last year and I did not just perform, I also choreographed the presentation, which was a big honour. The Calabar Carnival where I worked with Her Excellency, Mrs Obioma Liyel Imoke was also a great experience for me.
I’ve also worked with the likes of Tuface, Psquare, Dbanj, Wizkid, Paul Play, Weird Mc, Kas, Shina Peters, King Sunny Ade, Charlie Boy and many others.
But in all, every opportunity I have to perform is important to me, because it is a ladder and as at that moment, it is huge and big to me.
How has the experience been as a young, yet successful dancer?
The experience is overwhelming, but truly it’s all about hard work. I am never complacent where I may be, because I believe I could do better and I keep on taking those bold steps.
What exactly does your company, Stepryders Entertainments do?
Stepryders Entertainment is into all genres of entertainment, such as training people interested in dancing, acting, modeling, event packaging and just anything entertainment.
Dance is about rhythm, how do you put your moves together?
Putting my moves together comes with the concept of the event I’m to perform at. That’s called Creativity Redefined.
Many people have the impression that female dancers are irresponsible, judging from their appearances in musical videos and all, how would you react to that?
Yes, that would be the first thing that would cross anyone’s mind, but the truth is, in every profession we have imposters and we have irresponsible people in that line of field. Most of what dancers wear in videos are costumes, they are just for the shoot and the fact that they wear these costumes to add glamour and excitement doesn’t make them irresponsible, rather being irresponsible has to do with individual differences. So I don’t quite agree with that.
You’ve been a professional dancer for more than a decade now, what were the hurdles crossed at the early stages of your career?
I did cross a lot of hurdles, there were challenges, but I believe that they were all part of moving ahead. Nothing comes easy, so there were lots of ups and downs.
Who are some of your favorite dancers, both back in the days and now?
In Nigeria, those will be Kaffy, Patience, Korede Osha, Henry, Cythia Angel, Wande Coal, Gerald, Gizzle, while in America, they are, Ciara, Omarion, JLO, Beyonce, Chris Brown and Usher.
You are also pushing a career in acting, what influenced that?
Acting is something I would have started with, but due to my parents’ strictness and all, I couldn’t really give it a push, although I used to act back in the days at school. But since I went into dancing, I decided to focus on it and also to enable me concentrate on my studies. And now that I’m done, I’ve decided to also push a career in acting and so far, I have featured in a soap opera under Stan World Media and two other movies.
Would you say the Nigerian entertainment industry encourages dance enough?
No it doesn’t at all. Dance is a gift and a talent and so it should be appreciated. Unfortunately in the Nigerian entertainment industry, people often think they are doing you a favour by asking you to perform in their videos or on stage, forgetting that dance beautifies the stage. The craft adds more style to an event and above all you are part of a successful event.
The improvement has to start first from the dancers down to the artistes. Dancers need to start appreciating their talents and make themselves relevant and also put other fellow dancers’ interest at heart. And as for the artistes, they also need to start acknowledging the fact that they are not doing dancers favours, rather they are part of the team that makes their stage craft interesting. Therefore they need to see them as a team and start paying them handsomely.
What is your fashion sense?
I like something that makes me look smart, comfortable, decent and sexy at all times.
Favourite accessory?
I love gold.
Memorable moments…
Memorable moments in my career is just being around the world for performances, gracing events outside the country, most especially performing on the stage of Legendary Weaner Theatre in Washington DC, not with any artiste, but as Megryderz of Stepryders; that is fulfilling.
How do you relax?
I love going to the beach with my friends, getting a lot of sleep, watching movies, partying, wine tasting and just having fun.
Words for aspiring dancers?
For young dancers, one could only go far if one stays focused and work hard. Believe in yourself and utilise any opportunity you have, don’t give it up for any reason and always wish others well and always aspire to be the best in your career, by creating a niche for yourself. Be a mover and always take positive bold steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment