Monday 15 December 2014

I don’t have a religion. I am a man of no religion

Peter Fatomilola has been on the movie scene for decades. The veteran actor, who hails from Ifishin in Ido/Osi Local Government Area of Ekiti State, in this interview with DOYIN ADEOYE, speaks on his acting career, his foray into lecturing, and life as a traditionalist.

How did you develop the passion for theatre?
Theatre for me started when I was a child. I remember when I was in primary school and we would stage plays during the end of the year parties. Anytime we performed these plays, I loved to play prominent roles, and this continued through my secondary school education. I remember in 1967,
while I was at the Ife City College, I led my group, the ‘Ife City Dramatic Society’, to a competition, which was the Oranmiyan Festival of Arts. We performed a play entitled Oro Ikoko and I played the role of Atitebi.
Fortunately, the late Professor Ola Rotimi was the chairman at the occasion and he discovered my talent and decided to help nurture it. He collected my details that day and by the second week, he was in my school. He nurtured me into professional theatrics.


What was the first major role you played as a thespian?
I can’t really cite the first major role I played, but the first major role that thrilled me was my role as Lawuwo in Rere Run. I acted as a labour leader, who fought the government on behalf of the masses. It was written by Dejo Okewumi and directed by Ola Rotimi. People really loved it, and for a while, I got stuck with the name Lawuwo. But I had to drop it because I don’t like taking on nicknames. My name is Peter Fatomilola.

You were a part of Obafemi Awolowo University’s Theatre Department for 37 years. How was the experience?
Initially, I started as an actor when I got to the then University of Ife, before I was later admitted into the school to acquire more knowledge in drama. I started off as a member of the University of Ife theatre in 1967; it was then called the Ori Olokun Players. It was later changed to the University of Ife Theatre in 1973. And during the 1977/1978 session, the Department of Dramatic Arts was established.
But prior to that, University of Ife never had a drama department. Our activities as Ori Olokun Players and University of Ife Theatre made the university authorities decide to come up with a department that would centre on dramatic arts. So, we were the first set of students at the school before we were retained as instructors, to take the students in the practical aspects of theatre. I retired as a principal actor at the institution. I’ve been retired now for almost seven years.

What are your memorable moments as a thespian?
There are quite some memories, but the one that often comes to mind was a time when we were set to travel abroad for a performance. My name was, however, not shortlisted with those that would make the trip, despite having participated in the rehearsals. Fortunately, Professor Wole Soyinka did a review, and after going through the list, he included my name immediately when he realised my name wasn’t included. That was how I joined the troupe for the performance in New York City. I was so happy that day that I spent the evening with my colleagues at the Kegites’ Shrine, where I spent all the money I had on me in buying palm wine for myself and my friends. Another memorable moment that thrills me was the day I was called to play the role of Papa Ajasco in 1983.

Judging by the roles you play nowadays, no one could imagine you once played comical roles?
Yes, I once did; and of all the people that have played the role of Papa Ajasco ever since the inception of the series, no one has reached the standard I set. I was really good at it and people really loved how I interpreted the role.

You hardly play comical roles in movies nowadays?
That is because many people don’t see that in me. They only see me as someone versed in Ifa practice. My father was a herbalist and I used to study with him as a child. By the time I was nine years old, I could interpret the Odu Ifa for anyone. I am a practising herbalist today, but only people that know me from way back know that I can play comical roles. I am a flexible actor. I was trained to play any role, but the problem is once you are made a soft character, such as a comedian, you tend to lose other roles.

What is your religion?
I don’t have a religion. I am a man of no religion, because God himself has no religion. The word ‘religion’ is a creation of man. If you call God in the name of Orunmila, Jesus Christ, Moses, Muhammed, Buddha, Hindu and the likes, He will answer you. But I practise the three prominent religions among the Yoruba, which are Ifa, Christianity and Islam. By practice, I don’t mean that I visit their worship centres.
I studied Ifa as a child and I studied the Bible when I was in school. This gave me a platform to compare the Bible with the Ifa, and I discovered that both are preaching the same thing. So, this prompted me to probe Islam, which I did and I discovered that Islam is also preaching the same message. The stories of the creation of these three religions are interwoven; the only difference is the language and the practice. God has no religion, and I don’t either. I have the Bible, Quran and the Ifa. Ifa, to me, is a sacred knowledge.

You own the Olumodu Cultural Studio. What is it about?
The Olumodu Cultural Studio is a study centre where people come to study Ifa, theatre, as well as other cultural heritages. The studio entails Yoruba oral literature and the study of traditional medicine in Yoruba land. I teach people that, because it is what I know. At age 15, I was already a practising herbalist, and as at that age, I was already registered alongside other herbalists in Ife. I have the certificate of the Agboniregun.

Who are the professional actors that have passed through your tutelage?
There are many of them that have grown into big actors and actresses today.

How did you come about being the Osi Amuludun of Ife and what are your responsibilities?
I remember I was just in my house that day when I was summoned by the king that I would be given the chieftaincy title, as the Osi Amuludun. For someone like me to be named a chief in another man’s land was really surprising.
Although, prior to that, I had been made the Chief Saloro of Ifishin-Ekiti, which is equivalent to a Balogun. So, the title made me feel really appreciated. I remember at the king’s coronation in 1980, after my performance, the king called me and prayed for me. I never knew the journey was still far ahead. After the coronation 33 years ago, I visit the palace once every year. So, I was made the Osi Amuludun in January, 2012 and my duty is to see to the peace of the city.

It was reported that you were seriously ill early this year. Is that true?
It is true. It started around mid-December through January. I woke up one day and I discovered I couldn’t talk; I couldn’t move my right arm and leg. I could hear people talk, but I couldn’t answer. My memory was pale, my body had failed and it was really torturing. But I called on God and He came to my rescue. Having prayed to him and using the natural herbs and the modern day medicine I was given, my health was restored.

Do you think travelling theatre can still be revived?
I think it can still be revived, but the truth is that it is very costly. The cost of transporting actors is very alarming. Feeding and accommodation expenses can also be difficult to sustain, unlike the present home video which is cheaper.  So, I believe it can only be revived if there is support from the government and other philanthropists, who could invest into theatre as it is done in the sporting world.
Travelling theatre is entertaining. I remember on December 6, 1980, I was the one who organised a play at the coronation of Oba Sijuwade. The play was entitled: Orirun. Also at the first Ife Day, I presented a play to Ife people, entitled: Ajo ko da bi ile. If the stage industry can be financed, I think it can be revived.

Tell us about your early years.
As a child, I used to follow my father to the farm. I had many siblings, but I am my mother’s only child and, thanks to God, she is still alive. So, my parents trained me both through my primary and secondary modern school education. From there, I shouldered my education up until the university level. I’ve been living in Ife for over 40 years.

What about your school days?
I attended the Apostolic Primary School, Iwara Oke, via Osu, Ilesa, before I proceeded to the Apostolic Secondary Modern School, Oke Oho, Ifaki, Ilesa. We couldn’t finish at Ilesa due to the riot that broke out during the Operation wet e in 1965. So, I attended the Ife City College in 1967 for my secondary school education, and since then, I have been in Ife.

Would you say your career has been fulfilling?
To some extent, I would say it is. No matter what one does, contentment matters and I have that. The reaction I get from people is satisfying.

Are any of your children taking after you, both in theatre and the Ifa tradition?
All my children are into one form of theatre or the other, and almost all of them know the Ifa tradition too.

No comments:

Post a Comment